steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by cohny
Here are the pictures:

<... photos deleted by Steve...>

They may not be helpful. I'm not really sure how pictures could be of use or what I should take a picture of. I do notice that the freewheel is a straight tooth design and that the chain doesn't have the extensions between each link to catch the chain. I'm going to order a new chain and freewheel.

the details of the pictures do tell me a few things....

1. the chain is not a chain with bushings (and the associated pins that stick relatively far out of the links), which would make the shifting worse than with a bushingless chain.

2. the chain length looks appropriate.

3. the fore/aft position of the rear axle looks fine. With the short dropouts, there's not a lot of options. Some bikes have much longer dropouts.

4. the freewheel size is reasonable... a 13-24 or so?

Your description of the problem is: "the Nuovo Record RD does not shift very well". Can you elaborate on this? Is the shifting stiff? Does the chain not get picked up by the freewheel cogs and just "skate" along the top of the teeth? Does it make a lot of noise?

Or, by comparison, what friction shifting do you have experience with, and what derailleur/freewheel/chain combinations have shifted will for you in the past, and how did it compare to the Bianchi?

On a bike that was just purchased and may have been neglected for some time, you may just want to see if the derailleur cable is gunked up under the BB or in the cable housing, and if the shift lever moves smoothly and easily.

Originally Posted by cohny
However, I'm sure that it would be even better with something modern. Would something like this work?
Campagnolo Rear Derailleur C Record Era 8 or 9 Speed | eBay

I know this may not be proper but I want the bike to function as well as possible.
It sounds like you want to change to something modern-ish regardless. I'd just encourage you to play with the NR derailleur for a while and see if it grows on you. There is always time to put on a newer derailleur.

The first steps should be:
1. a good inspection,
2. clean stuff up and get everything running smoothly and not sticking or binding, with attention to the cable, housing and lever(s).
3. replace the chain and possibly the freewheel. The freewheel may be worn enough that a new chain will skip on the worn teeth.
4. browse e-bay or forums for a potential derailleur.

good luck!

Steve in Peoria