Old 07-19-16, 08:11 AM
jamesdak

Bikes: G.L. Maillot Juane & Ventoux,Schwinn Circuit, Prologue,PDG Paramount,Paramount,Tempo,Jake The Snake,LeMond Zurich & Tourmelet,Giordana XL Super & Antares,Puegeot U08,Bob Jackson,Fuji S12-S,Opus III,Orbea Cabestany,Bianchi Campione,Basso Gap

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 51 Posts
Curse the England Sales! Or which bike to built up!!

So, with some of the recent offers in England I've managed to pick up a new black Athena 11 speed groupset and a set of Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Black wheels.

My original idea was to upgrade the DA 7400 on the Giordana Antares with the groupset. I was going to move the silver Open Pro Miche hubbed wheels off the Superleggero to this bike and then use the new Shamals on the Superleggero since it's my fast, go to bike. But I"m having second thoughts.

The DA 7400 looks so nice on the Antares, it really does. Yet I love riding this bike and ride it fast and the upgrade would be better for my blown knees for sure. I tend to muscle things a bit more with the 6 speed set up versus shifting as much as I should. And obviously not the range with the gear selection. Then there's the point of silver wheels with a black groupset. I could use the Shamals on this too but I bet they would feel so nice on the 3 lb lighter other Giordana.

Another thought is to use the Athena set on the 1989 Greg Lemond Ventoux I'm sorting out. It's running really comfy now with a 700 x28c GP4000s II mounted on a wide set of Team 30 wheels. I want to keep this cush ride so I don't thing the Shamals would be properly wide enough to mount the 28s on. By that I mean right now on the wider rim they actually measure 31 yet are not crazy lightbulb shaped so they still corner well. I'm worried about losing the handling if I upgrade this one and use narrower rims. I think I could keep the Team 30s on and run a Shimano 11-28 11-speed cassette but I'm not sure if I'd give up any of the sweet shifting mismatching the parts. Plus the 8 speed on it right now is working well and these old brifter shift up 3 cogs with the lightest effort of anything I have. Oh and if I go this route I'd need to get a braze on adapter for the FD since this bike is a clamp on. No big deal I guess.

Of course I could do the Ventoux and try to source a cheap, light, wide Campagnolo compatible wheelset. Just not finding anything reasonable with an inner width of at least 19mm....

Other factors for me. I like to ride a lot of miles and ride daily. The Ventoux is cushy right now but bad spots in road seem to resonate throughout the frame. Not harsh but I steel feel them were as the Antares you don't really feel them. Oh and the rear of the Ventoux was already spread to 130 the Antares is not, yet.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

The Antares as it sits now, it does have a black headset, seat post and saddle.

Then Ventoux, no doubt all black would look good on this:

Oh and if I do go with the Antares upgrade I could swap the DA 7400 onto the Club Fuji I just picked up. The white Ole components on it look great other than the crankset but in all honesty they don't work as well as the DA...

The Fuji

So, if you were in my boat what would you do? I keep going back and forth on this decision. I'm fixing to head out for 30 miles on the Antares so maybe a revelation will come to me, LOL!