WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I'm looking at shipping my bike for a few trips coming up, probably 2-3 times a year. I would be using a service like bikeflights, since these are significantly cheaper than taking the bike on a place.

Option 1: Bike box
Bike box from the LBS. Ease to source and the price is right (free). Slightly more difficult to pack. I would probably get a "new" box for each round-trip.

Option 2: Soft side bike case.
I'm thinking a moderately priced soft padded case (~$200). Ease to pack since it has dedicated straps, etc. Wheels make it easier to move.

What do people do in similar situations? Which do people think offers better protection?
For 2-3 times a year, I don't think a soft case would be worth it and I don't think it would be the best of ideas. A soft case is designed primarily for plane travel. I feel that on a one way trip, there would be a lot more chances for the bag to be "thrown" via shipping than on a flight. That and you're usually bumping up against other soft bags on a flight as opposed to heavy, pointy boxes via FedEx.

For shipping with a box, it would be a really good idea to nail down some reusable packaging. They will have some stuff at the bike shop from the packaged bikes. You can get the foam that wraps around the seat stays, down tube, etc. and then get some two sided velcro from a craft store or amazon and cut some straps. This will be easier than messing with tape or zip ties. You could even label the foam pieces for the part of the bike they go on.

From there, it's just a matter of replacing the box. If you're not familiar with packing a bike for shipping, it would be worth it to pay a good shop that will let you watch while they do it. Once you get it down, it's a fairly straightforward process. You could also use that opportunity to save and mark the packaging as you take it off at your destination. If it's a carbon bike, check out the small preset torque tools for assembly. They're awesome. If they are a Trek dealer, they probably have a drawer full of them and would give you one if you asked nicely enough.