View Single Post
Old 07-22-16, 11:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you…

Hey, thanks for your acknowledgement, @wphamilton.By way of explanation (to our OP, et al) here’s my Annual Explanation of my Posting Philosophy and Style.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your quote and reading my post…My nested quotes are meant to be read in a linear array, as if a conversation with one person speaking (posting) followed by another, then maybe another one or two.

“I said, “then I said, “as @turbo1889 said, “and then I commented

Regards however to my specific style using the quote function, I have described it in previous Forum posts:

…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post…

I use ellipses...to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion
Anything outside a quote box (in the linear array) is my current post.

BTW by way of further explanation, I like to make my posts self-explanatory, as if someone reading from the last post in a thread forward could understand the context of my post, so I include quotes expressing the entire “conversation.” Often for reference I'll even include the title of the thread itself. If I go back to review the post (to find a specific quote by myself or others), I also will recognize the context.

Posting has become an avocation for me. Since my job requires writing formal reports, with legal implications, I consider myself a “wordsmith,” and beside the exchange of information and ideas [and chit-chat], I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition , style, etc. for that additional mental stimulation.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

What I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
This reply is written, not just for you, [@wp], but in case anybody else is curious.

Originally Posted by Roody
…BTW, off-topic, I have often noticed your clever and helpful use of the forum's quote function. Along with your clear writing style, it makes your posts a delight to read

Originally Posted by yankeefan
…Hey Jim, yeah I can never forget your trademark style of nested quotes.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you have mad quotation skills

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-22-16 at 01:20 PM.