Old 03-18-03, 07:18 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Juha
This happens while commuting, too. I usually ride faster than about 90% of other cyclists I see. The remaining 10% can be interesting.

It was nice to find someone who shares your idea of a good pace.
--J
Originally posted by dazco
I hate that i even think about it ! But it's hard not to sometimes. I feel like i have to keep up, but the fact is i'm about twice as old as most of the riders i see. But as someone passes you you can't scream out "don't look so smug...you're beating a guy twice your age".
This happened this a.m I just got on to the bridge and was just picking up speed and a guy passed me. I normally climb that section at 12mph in deference to my dodgy left knee, until I warm up, but I upped the pace, latched on and climbed at 15mph.

Over the top of the bridge I passed him and he dropped behind then, as I spun out my top gear, he passed (I have only a 48 outer ring). I followed again and then we took separate routes but arrived at a junction at about the same time. I passed him, then he me and as he came past, he started up a conversation. We rode in together for the next 8 or 9 miles.

We had a good ride in at a good pace. Don't know his name, but a Cannondale bike in blue, Conti tyres, STi.

My left knee suffered a bit when I got into work though

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1