Old 07-24-16, 10:14 PM
Perdido

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wuwuisaac
As far as I know, a barometric altimeter is really just a barometer, which ONLY tells the pressure from air, and it's the computer, in this case, Bryton Rider computers to do the calculation for elevation readings. According to Bryton, the barometer that was used on their new bike computers, including the Rider 310/330/530, when it is 1 ATM at sea level (this changes), the barometer is able to tell the air pressure change (altitude) up to 9km from sea level, which is more than enough if you look at the highest mountain, Mount Everest at 8848 meters.
Yes, I think all barometric altimeters work the same way. They measure atmospheric pressure, that is why you always have to re-calibrate them to a known elevation (like a bridge benchmark, or a known pass elevation) when a front moves through. The weather will change the atmospheric pressure that the altimeter is sensing. A gps altitude reading is constant because it is triangulating your position from a satellite and no weather is involved. I just could not find the spec from Bryton that their sensor would read to 9000 meters but it's nice to know that you found it, so thanks. Now I can be sure that it will work for me, 9000m is more than enough!