Old 07-25-16, 09:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 69 Posts
Depending on your bike you may find standing to pedal difficult because the bike isn't balanced for anything but seated pedaling. Some comfort bikes and hybrids seem to thwart sensible balance when out of the saddle. The upright bars may be too far back, or flat bars too far forward, of the front wheel hub.

I find the best natural balance is when the arms, handlebar/grips and fork are in more or less a straight line into the hub, like you're trying to push everything directly into the center of the wheel.

As my conditioning improved last year I gradually adjusted the slight riser bars on my comfort hybrid to accommodate occasionally climbing out of the saddle to climb hills or launch quickly across intersections. Eventually I flipped the riser bars upside down and adjusted the angle so my arms are more inline with the stem, tube and fork. Helped a lot.

Road bikes with drop bars seem more naturally suited to climbing out of the saddle, so you may not need any significant adjustments there.