View Single Post
Old 07-25-16, 07:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I started with toe clips back in the 70's. Back then we nailed a "cleat" to the bottom of the leather bike shoe and you didn't come out of the pedal. A good and a bad thing.

Roll the clock ahead to the 80's and I was running look pedals and clipless cleats on my new Diadora road shoes. Awesome!

Roll the clock ahead to now. I am running Giro mountain bike shoes (that actually look, ride and feel like road shoes) with SPD-type Shimano XT pedals.

Wow!! All of the benefits of running road shoes and clipless pedals but I can also use them mountain biking and walking around. You can't really walk in pure road shoes.

I think this is the best set-up for 99% of the road riders out there. I won't be going back to pure road shoes probably for ever since these shoes are comfortable and effective. Technology has come a long way in 30 years, heck, a long way in just 10 years. The SPD pedal system really is excellent.

As far as using clipless pedals for the first time, don't be intimidated. They are easy to get used to. My 14 year old son tried them this past weekend and took to them right away after a couple of wobbly dismounts in the parking lot.

Last edited by drlogik; 07-25-16 at 07:49 PM.