View Single Post
Old 07-27-16, 05:44 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
When I got my folding bike out from behind my seat on the train yesterday afternoon I noticed the rear tire was flat. So after getting off the train I found a spot in the shade at the station where I could pump up the tire and inspect the tread. The tire seemed to hold air pretty well, but I found a staple stuck through the tread. When I pulled the staple out, I could hear air escaping. But it was so hot at the station I figured I'd ride to a cooler spot before fixing it. I got a couple hundred yards to a decent patch of grass in the shade.

Since I'd already found the staple, I knew exactly where the puncture was, so I just lay the bike down on its side, pulled a foot long section of tube out of the tire, inflated until I could see the hole; scuffed it thoroughly, applied glue, and put away all my tools. By now the glue was dry, I stuck a patch to it, finished up, and I was on my way. Whole process took less than ten minutes.