View Single Post
Old 07-31-16, 03:04 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
A good bit of progress was made on my recently-acquired 1984 Schwinn Super Sport. I picked it up for a very fair price. It had been in a Public Storage type unit for (according to the seller--whole different conversation there) around ten years. Older gentleman owned it.

Everything was in perfect adjustment and seat post, stem, headset and bottom bracket came out/undone with zero issues! I rode it in its "as found" state (with tires pumped up, of course), including the aero bars, and took some photos. Rides nicely. Really cool deep bronze anodized Araya rims. The paint is a stunning ivory pearl, even if the photos don't show that at all. As Schwinn's #3 for that year, there are many good pieces, most notable (to me) being the 144 BCD Sugino AS crankset (#2 ranking), Suntour Superbe Pro shifters (!!), and Araya rims.

The color scheme of this bike comes across as sort of an evolved earth tones '70s scheme with the warm tones and medium grey accent. I aim to keep that theme and add some more Superbe Pro bits as I find them (decent deals only, trying not to ebay this). I snagged some calipers and levers already--levers have some road rash, but they were $5 or $10. Soooo, new hoods and away we go! The bike fit/setup will mimic my Fuji with traditional/old school drop bars that have the drops parallel to the ground with appropriately positioned levers.

The frame I finished compounding and waxing today. Installed the (overhauled) headset and bottom bracket. Who knew that quality old components would come into proper adjustment without trouble??? I am really looking forward to getting this done and on the road again!