Old 07-31-16, 11:51 PM
Olympianrider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Need advice -- front derailleur for Nuovo Record triple crankset?

Hello all,

First off, I want to thank everyone for the very helpful answers I received to a couple of previous queries. I am in the home stretch of a bike project -- I just handed over all the parts to a local bike shop this afternoon and told them to get to it.

Basically, I'm taking a really good 1981 Dawes Atlantis frame -- made of "531" steel, the sort of high-end frame where the buyer specified the components -- and I am replacing all the current fair-to-middling components with period-correct Campagnolo Nuovo Record parts (with a couple of exceptions).

My question today is this. Do I have the right front derailleur for the Nuovo Record triple crankset?

I have a totally-stock Nuovo Record triple crankset that (according to the guy I bought it from on eBay) came from a 1979 Schwinn Paramount.

I did a lot of reading on the web, and found plenty of information about the REAR derailleur I need to use with the triple crankset. Apparently I need to use a "long cage" derailleur, and the one manufactured by Campagnolo for that purpose was the Rally derailleur. I have acquired a 1st-generation Rally derailleur, so I should be all-set there.

But what about the front derailleur? I haven't seen anything indicating that a special front derailleur was used with the triple crankset, so my assumption is that any Nuovo Record front derailleur will do. And yet -- I see that in later years there was a differentiation between front derailleurs used with standard two-gear cranksets and the more-exotic three.

I also have a totally-stock Nuovo Record front derailleur, probably manufactured sometime in the 1970s -- there aren't any holes in the cage that holds the chain, anyway, and I guess that dates it. (I'm not sure if "cage" is the right word for it, but I figure people who know this subject better than I do will understand what I am talking about -- you know, the flat and shiny metal part that goes over the outer edge of the chain.)

So -- is this the right front derailleur for this kind of set-up? Is there some sort of standard modification that needs to be done, or is it OK as is?

(BTW, I'm going with vintage SunTour bar-end shifters, and with Campy C-Record aero brake levers, but all the rest is Campy Nuovo Record equipment. I'll be using the Nuovo Record high-flange hubs, but I've been thinking I'll let the local bike shop advise me on new rims.)

Erik Smith
Olympia, Wash.