Old 08-03-16, 09:35 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
I've blown an engine after losing 6.5 quarts of oil... Didn't make any untoward noise whatsoever, it lost power and 10 seconds later it died.
They usually give some sort of noise warning before the loss of power, today most cars have some much sound insulation (to make cars sell better because of the ultralow cabin noise) it prevents you from hearing telltale signs of a problem about to happen, combine that with the radio going and you can't even hear a emergency vehicle with their siren going how in the hell would you hear the engine rattling? My Acura has two electric fans, I can hear them click on and run when I'm standing 10 feet (and probably even more but I haven't tested that) from the outside of the car but I can't hear them inside with the radio off, it's highly doubtful that you'll hear the tappets clattering due to loss of oil pressure unless you were standing outside the car. If you had been paying attention modern cars since the early 2000's have a sensor light that comes on when oil pressure is reaching dangerous levels because the car manufacturers realize a person can no longer hear engine issues developing, from the mid 60's to the 2000's a warning light would come on but most of the time it was too late, but usually you could hear the engine before that happened anyway, those were called idiot lights because the only warned after the engine was shot.