Bike Forums - View Single Post - Commuters, help me out. What do you think about bike lockers?
Old 08-06-16, 11:03 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 42 Posts
Do I use a bike locker:
Yes! I use it if my bike is out all day. On the weekends and during the week if I wake up early enough to bike to the closer train station or go on the weekend. (The lockers fill up early and I don't like leaving my bike out for more that 4 hours over there. Could be paranoia). It is a small price for piece of mind.

We have the bikelink bike lockers with rechargeable cards at our train stations and some public garages. We used to have the individual rentals but waiting lists were for years and obviously some key holders stopped using their lockers.

I like the recharge card but hate that it doesn't work with our transit card so I need two different cards to remember to keep charging.

Pricing in our area ranges from 5-10 cents an hour depending on location and time of day. You can leave your bike from 3-10 days depending on locale. We also have "bike stations" near some train stations that act as a shop/service/bike valet. It is paid for by a government clean air and traffic authority. The parking is free for the open hours. And if you leave your bike overnight it is $5. They can do tuneup and simpler maintenance while your bike is parked. This is a great service too.