Bike Forums - View Single Post - Commuters, help me out. What do you think about bike lockers?
Old 08-07-16, 04:18 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I need your help in learning about other bike commuters thoughts on bike lockers.

As many of you know, I recently moved to the City's Parking Bureau from the Public Library. My department is in charge of all the ramp garages in the city.

The city's bike locker program has been ignored for six to seven YEARS. We have over 50 bike lockers scattered around at the garages and,
  • Nobody knows if any are used.
  • Nobody knows when the last time was that anyone was billed.
  • Nobody knows if any keys previously issued are still out there.
  • Nobody knows what happened to the waiting list.
  • Given that all the garages have post-and-ring racks you can use for free, (and that are used, I use one myself) nobody knows if there's any interest in renting a bike locker.
It's become my job to get it straightened out and to revive the program for next year. So here's an informal poll to help head me in the right direction:

Do you presently use a bike locker? If so, tell me about it and how much you pay.

If not, would you use a bike locker if it was inside a parking garage and within reasonable walking distance to work? (You get to decide how far “reasonable” is.)

What type of locker would you prefer?
  • One where you bring you own lock—padlock and U-lock compatible—but you can't leave your lock overnight?
  • One where you buy an online rechargeable access card and it charges you 5˘ (yes, only a nickel) an hour to park? (40˘ to 50˘ a day.) And you can use that card in other cities too. And you can also reserve a locker online before leaving for work?
  • One with its own key lock, and you pay $30 for six months April 1 to October 31, or $50 for a whole year April 1 to March 31 (your choice) plus a key deposit for either period?
Bonus question: If there were bike-share bikes stationed at the same garage, would you use one,
  • to commute instead of your own bike, or
  • for running errands at lunchtime instead of your own bike which you would leave in the locker.
Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks!

If it was within one block I would rent it out at $50 per annum, but only if I was allowed to leave my lock.