Bike Forums - View Single Post - Commuters, help me out. What do you think about bike lockers?
Old 08-08-16, 12:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 162 Posts
I use the BikeLink lockers at the transit station sometimes - but you never know if they're all going to be used so you have to bring regular locks anyway because you might have to use a regular rack. Also the LCD screens are almost impossible to read in bright sunlight so that's a problem - and yeah, people store junk in there... what's up with that? I'd use BikeLink at shopping or libraries or other places if they were reliably available.

I don't have a big security problem at my office - we have good bike locking furniture inside a semi-secure garage so that's good enough, although bike theft isn't zero... it's low enough that I wouldn't pay extra for a locker. I do get to leave my locks there overnight - convenient but there are a bunch of abandoned locks there as well - there should be a lock storage rack separate from the bike furniture and abandoned locks can get cut off. If I worked someplace that did have a security problem, I'd be happy to rent a locker by the month just to make sure I'd always have it.

I've used bike share in San Francisco a couple times - interesting and fun but there are usually just better ways of getting around.