Old 08-08-16, 11:35 PM
NocoRider

Bikes: 3 Frankenbikes (Stumpjumper, Karakoram, Trek 930), Fuso, Tarmac Pro, '72 Fuji Finest, Soma Saga, El Diente, Cannondale tandem, 2 mountain bikes, more...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Insidious C.;18964417
...as there are other issues with brifters that have me stuck in the middle chain ring anyway. I also have RSX 3x7 brifters on my Randonee, which I think has a STX FD.[/QUOTE]

The basic issues as I understand them are:
1. The FD pull ratio is different between road and mountain FD's so one needs a "road compatible" FD to work with the brifter.

2. The wider bottom bracket and longer axle result in the outer chainring of the triple crankset to be too far to the right.

One proven solution is to go to a double chainring setup.

There have been claims of road compatible FD's which have sufficient travel that can push the chain on a mountain triple. I don't recall off hand which brand/model will work.

A possible solution would be to get road FD for a triple and an oversized FD clamp. Make a shim out of hard rubber or plastic (nylon?) and use the shim to offset the FD to the right. The spacing between chainrings is identical between road and mountain triples, the primary differences are the diameter of the chainrings and the offset of the bottom bracket.

Hope this helps,
Greg