Old 08-14-16, 07:27 PM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
Depending on your riding, there are 3 solid upgrade paths.

Option 1: Upgrade shifter to a 9-speed RapidFire II shifter (this allows your thumb to shift both up & down) Cost ~$30.
Option 2: Convert to a 1x9/10/11 system. For commuting, 1x10 or 1x11 seems about ideal, and you get to drop a bunch of weight & clutter. Cost ~$20-$150
Option 3: Convert to a 2x10 or 3x10-speed (new cassette, rear derailluer, shifter). Front ~$150, Rear ~$150.
I rode the SLR2 the other day and didn't like a few items (shifters, seat, grips) and thought that the upgrade to the SLR1 might be worth it instead of throwing money at a brand new bike. The post above has, however shed a little light on what I might actually have to upgrade to my liking, and the cost, versus the $430 additional cost for the SLR1. I don't need racks today but I do like the better brakes and shifters of the SLR1. Not sure about the 2 x 10 of the SLR1 versus the 3 x 9 SLR2 but should learn more tomorrow when I test ride the SLR1.

Still having a hard time buying a new bike and upgrading it immediately. Thoughts?