View Single Post
Old 08-15-16, 12:05 PM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
LHawes, are you in the USA or Australia?

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been and was largely explaining why for me, the SLR 2 made the most sense, but it may not for everyone else.

Firstly, I wouldn't recommend that someone buy a SLR 2 and upgrade it, instead of buying a SLR 1, unless you had a definite use for the running gear on the SLR 2.
Secondly, it is largely because I always planned to take the running gear off my SLR 2 and transfer it to a Surly LHT, that I bought the SLR 2, knowing I would then be free to upgrade the SLR 2, to my heart's content.

Thirdly, the Sram stuff on the SLR 1 is decent, but it is more like Deore level in Sram's family tree, which is why I believe the XT upgrades would overall make an updated SLR 2, better overall than a SLR 1, despite the SLR 1 having a better braking system. But keep in mind that "better" here doesn't mean a night and day difference, the SLR 1 is still going to be a fine bike.

Fourthly, if you are based in America, you won't have an option of the SLR 0, in the next 12 months or so, at least.

Fifth & final I think the SLR 0 isn't worth the cost and sadly has a lousy colour scheme.
I SO appreciate your input and wisdom concerning such things. I have so much to learn and I understand how individual each person and buying needs are. Yes I am in America and will ride both (hopefully) the SLR1 and -2 today to see if there's actual value (for me) in the SLR1.

Hey maybe I'll buy the SLR1 and swap that gear into a Surly Ogre in the distant future?

Again thank you for taking your valuable time to help educate me.