Old 08-16-16, 02:34 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Funny you should mention beer. (not that there's anything wrong with that....)

The event had a problem last year with the beer protocol. The event provided 12 oz glasses and tickets for 2 free beers.
Everyone knows in Wisconsin that you may get a round or two free, but after that, you pay.

Anyhow, the volunteers pretty much got tired of people saying they lost their tickets, left them in their other bike shorts, the dog ate their tickets, etc.
Everyone who's ever tried to limit free beer in Wisconsin has run into this well-developed practice of extracting more or some free beer from any venue.

Therefore, the volunteers provided not only unlimited free beer, but filled the extra 12 oz glasses until they were gone.
Everyone who's ever provided free beer knows the first line of defense is "we're out of cups."

With the extra glasses gone, the goal of limiting access to free beer by riders was temporarily met.
Protest soon sprang up re: the cups, so 16 oz cups were secured. It almost got ugly. We're talking beer, or lack thereof.
Everyone knows that the same people who took the extra glasses for their collection were the ones who complained about no cups.

Sidebar: Riders will put about anything in their water bottles, but beer drinkers are more discerning from which they drink.
Cups, glasses, a shapely high heel, but not water bottles.

The 16 oz cups were then filled to the brim, thus exceeding the predicted and planned capacity by 1/3.
Everyone knows that 16 oz cups only hold 8 oz of cold beer, after which the cup is left sitting, with 8 oz of warm beer left to draw the flies away from the potato salad.

Thus, due to the lack of control by great volunteers who didn't quite understand the protocol, and the back-up use of 16 oz glasses, and the rapid loss of cooling in said cups, a ton of beer was wasted and the event ran out.
Nothing worse has happened since the Barneveld tornado.

So this year, C&V personnel were dispatched (Chrome Molly, Barrettscv, and Pete's Brother Brian (a story in itself)) to perform the Best Beer Run Ever, 100 miles for 100 cases of 3 kinds of Capital Brewery product. I believe it was Maibock, and Amber, and an IPA, but I'm not sure. It was an ample supply, and the event received credit for what was not used. I have heard that the same tres hombres volunteered to count it and take it back, but event director Russ was slightly wary of their intentions. Pete couldn't walk straight, Brian was grinning too much, and well, you'd have to meet Michael to understand.

C&V, as usual, also practiced the long-neck discipline of years ago, with New Glarus Spotted Cow. I believe some PBR was secured, and several members were spotted drinking something resembling beer out of clear long-neck bottles, but our operatives didn't get there in time to determine exactly what.

Some of our beer funds went to the purchase of 2 very tough plastic bins, with which to house a plentiful supply of beer and ice in a small enough container we could carry it to our tables. We will re-use these next year. This insured our supply of cold beer. All of these very important decisions were dictated by our very own brand of logic.

If you come next year, and for some reason, many C&V folks have a beer bottle opener in their pocket, well, there's a story to that, too.
Thanks for a great reply! I actually may make it there next year since, as of now, I actually have no plans unlike the last couple of years. When I was in Madison last year I didn't have any Capital City but did have some New Glarus, Lake Louie, and one or two others. All were very good.
I always travel with a bottle opener.