Old 08-16-16, 04:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Don't ride up them when you're commuting. Just don't. Riding down them isn't that smart, either. If you have a bike that can survive riding up curbs (I'm American), you're riding a bike that's unnecessarily heavy for commuting. If you're riding a bike that is suitable for commuting, you will damage it if you ride up curbs. You can ride down most curbs but very slowly. You have to go slowly enough that you might as well just pick your bike up over the curbs going down.
Sorry but it's not what you ride but how you ride it. I ride up...and down... curbs all the time on everything from a dual suspension mountain bike to race bike to a fully loaded touring bike. But I ride each one the same way. I unload the front wheel by "popping" it up when going up the curb and hopping the rear wheel up when it gets close. And I unload the front wheel by leaning back when going off the curb followed by leaning my body weight forward so that the rear wheel drops lightly off the curb.

It's not impossible to even do it with a bit of speed if you have the timing right. Just make sure that you land lightly with your arms and legs absorbing the impact rather than the wheels.

But you are right that you shouldn't just slam into the curb and hope that the front wheel rides up and over it even with a dual suspension mountain bike...that's a good way of meeting oral surgeons
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!