Old 08-16-16, 08:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
That's incredible. Is it a bona fide statistic or hyperbole to make a point?
I read the statistic back in the mid '80s. Due to MADD and now UBER the number is likely a tad lower. And the drinking age back then was 18. Louisiana (the entire state) is a tad higher than the national average but New Orleans (Orleans Parish) is off the charts for drinking and driving. Not necessarily hammered but enough alcohol to impair function. It's cultural and people don't even think about it. They go out, eat and drink, then drive. Almost every person I know does it, some to extreme. This paragraph from Frommer's Travel Guide will give you some insight:

"Drinking Laws [New Orleans] -- ...Alcoholic beverages are available round-the-clock, 7 days a week. Bars can stay open all night in New Orleans, and liquor is sold in grocery and liquor stores. You’re allowed to drink in public, but not from a glass or bottle. Bars will provide a plastic “go cup” into which you can transfer your drink as you leave (and some have walk-up windows for quick and easy refills)."

We even have "Drive-Through" daiquiri shops - they put a piece of tape over the straw hole in the lid when they hand it to you to beat the "open container" laws. Now how many drivers do you think will NOT rip the tape off and jam a straw in the hole immediately with an expensive frozen drink in their grimy hands? And when you are out for your morning Giro with your buds on Saturday or Sunday at sunrise you will be sharing the road with all of the drunks driving home from the bars and clubs.

I can not find any current statistics regarding the 50% claim I made. I would not be surprised if it were even higher on weekends and holidays.

Not a bad strategy. I don't use the thought of them being drunk, but just ride as defensively, predictably, and proactively as possible at all times.
It raises the bar when you know half of them are under the influence. You learn what days and times to never ride and are careful all the rest of the time ESPECIALLY rear-end collisions.

It's a shame that it's so dangerous where you ride that you have to actually limit your riding because of it. I feel fortunate I've never lived nor ridden in a place that makes me constantly afraid. Cautious? yes. But not actually worrying or afraid.
Yeah. I gave up recreational cycling a couple years ago. I am still car-free but only cycle when I must (getting to work, doctor, grocery, etc.) I found other things to do. Luckily I have lots of interests outside of cycling.