Old 08-17-16, 10:00 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bikiola
I've been in the market for a new lock moving away from my heavy ass Kryp chain + padlock. I can't really use a ulock here in NYC as half the time i arrive somewhere, there's no actual bike parking (thanks, ****ty DOT!) and I have to park to something wide, like a street lamp, or farther away, where a u-lock won't reach.

So I've been thinking of the highest-level Bordo 6500 x-plus granit (or whatever they're calling it) as a replacement. I've been cycling in NYC for 15 years, so I'm pretty good about where and when I lock outside but I want to know stories about people's experience with this lock in the real world.

I can't seem to find very much about it on BF or elsewhere on the web; bikeradar said it was easily clipped whereas the scant Amazon reviews say its withstood a lot. So enough of my preamble - please share your bordo stories (or suggest another lock solution if you'd like ).

Thanks!
I have one. Here's my quick review. It weighs a ton, so make sure you want to carry the weight. Assuming you do, when combined with Pitlocks, because the lock isn't long enough to go through both wheels and around something, it's as good as you can get. The lower spec Abus folding locks are more vulnerable to attack at the joints from what I've seen online.

They are very popular in Europe and almost never seen in the US, which is a good thing, because thieves will have little experience with them. I like that it mounts on the frame either at the water bottle mount, or anywhere on the frame with Velcro.

Cost is also a factor, as combining the folding lock and Pitlocks is not cheap. But if you want your bike to be there when you get back, I don't think you can do much better. This is really a great solution where you have to leave your bike unattended for extended periods in unsecured environments. Is it better than a U-lock? Probably about the same as the higher end models, but it weighs less than some, and stores more compactly. I'm sure any lock can be cut with the right tools, so don't think you are buying something that will eliminate all your concerns.

Last edited by alan s; 08-17-16 at 10:04 AM.