osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
Congrats!!!
I am also eyeballing the Crossrip, have been for a while and just stumbled on this thread. I need to look at the 3 vs. the LTD, but it's calling my name.
Please give us feedback and initial reaction once you get some miles on it. please and thanks.
Ok and about the LTD,, for your consideration..

The Brakes, My LBS's mech had this to say when I asked about the LTD's cable to hydro brakes,, It has a cable system down to the wheel and there In/on the caliper the hydraulics are activated.

I asked why that setup, He said the only reason he could come up with on his own was that cable damage was easy to repair or replace while out touring far from help, a full on hydro system, well you would have to ride to a bike shop most likely with one brake to get It repaired and bled..

So The LTD's school of thought is that you can have most, say (90%) of the wet brake system performance with the simplicity of repair that goes with cable brakes while,,'Out In The Wild'.
He added, a small weight penalty and the need to clean, lube and adjust cables was why He would not choose It.

I agreed, I can always finish the ride with one brake, front or rear so I wanted the full wet brakes of the Rip 3.

And I think the brakes that come on the Rip 3 are a better shimano part.

His other comment was that the LTD's big chain ring Looked as It had some heft to it., and there was something else different that he considered better on the Rip 3, cannot remember what that was...

I think he viewed the LTD that also had a few lower low end gear Inches with It's different cassette as better suited to loaded bike long distance touring.

Last edited by osco53; 08-17-16 at 11:28 AM.