Old 08-19-16, 04:36 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
(a) Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
I can't think of a good reason not to do it. BTW, do you want to sell those shift levers?

(b) Are Athena brake calipers better than my 1987 Modolo?
There are a few people who still love single pivot caliper brakes, and probably an unusually high concentration of them on this forum, but I am a huge fan of dual pivot calipers. I got a set of Campy Skeleton calipers with my Athena groupset (I don't think they made an Athena-specific brake, but I could be wrong about that). I haven't been able to use them because I needed longer reach. The Skeletons max out at 49mm.

What I can tell you is that the Athena levers with a set of cheapo Miche-branded Tektro dual caliper brakes (Miche Performance) and Kool Stop pads have been nothing short of outstanding.

The people who prefer single pivots generally prefer them because the dual pivots feel "too grabby". What I take this to mean is that they are used to squeezing the lever hard and when they squeeze the lever hard with dual pivots it goes into "panic stop" mode pretty quickly. The flip side of this is that when you squeeze the lever lightly with dual pivot calipers they actually slow the bike down and you can achieve a fairly safe quick stop without a lot of lever pressure. That's why I like them.

(c) It looks like Potenza is replacing Athena, at least from what I can gather looking at various websites. Moreover, it looks like this will be my last chance to get a sliver (or any other color) triple groupo. WTF?
I haven't heard an official confirmation from Campy about this, but I panicked and bought an Athena group on the day that Potenza was announced. We're kind of between model years right now so everything Campy is in low availability. I've genuinely considered picking up another set of Athena components just to have them on the shelf in case I wanted them. And right now I've got a bare Italian frame with no components, so I kind of feel like this:

So, yeah, WTF.

Veloce might also continue to be an option.