Old 08-21-16, 01:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Entertaining screed. I suspect the list has been reinforced extensively by confirmation bias. Anyway, here's how those things describe me:

1. Little kids: My spouse and I reared our offspring while being car-light, meaning we drove once a quarter or less. We now have two adorable grand-daughters age two and three who would be shocked to get into a car with us. Considering the data on injuries and deaths to children inside motor vehicles, we consider putting children into cars to be borderline child abuse.

2. Transients? I lived two decades in the Bay Area, same house for the last dozen of those years. Then I lived two decades near Sacramento, same house for the last fourteen years. Now I've lived nearly two decades in the Willamette Valley, same house for the past decade. I believe the average American moves every five years.

3. City Dweller: I do currently live in a city, albeit a small one that has barely more people than many suburbs. However, Up until a decade ago I lived in either suburbs or out in a rural setting where I was the only person commuting to the city. None of that stopped me from meeting my transportation desires by bicycle.

4. Close to work: Not exactly. My commute distances have varied from ten mile round trips to 100 mile round trips. I must say I was in much better shape when I was commuting 100 miles by bike to work. However, I have found that the middle-ground, about sixty miles round trip, is the real sweet spot. Count yourself lucky to live just about that distance from work; if you ever figure out how to commute by bike you'll understand.

5. Busy? Errands? I don't quite get this. I do have many young friends who spend lots of time at concerts and such, but that's not something I've ever done. The only real errands I do are grocery shopping and trips to get things for home projects.

I wonder if anyone will chime in who confirms your model. I'm particularly interested in seeing who will lay claim to being organized, since that's about the opposite of what I am.