View Single Post
Old 08-21-16, 09:32 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBoile
Perhaps someone who knows more can chime in, but my understanding is that most Tour de France riders eat a lot of carbs when competing. I don't think they are relying on fat as their primary fuel source. My understanding is that for intense efforts, fat is not as good a fuel source as carbs.
You may be right for that, I have not considered training for the TdF myself, or anything remotely like it. I train for 50-100 mile rides under 20mph usually closer to 15 for those longer rides. I'll likely never be able to compete on that kind of level, especially working rotating shifts. If winning the TdF is in your future, I think they do more [bad] things to themselves than just consume sugar. But if those kind of stakes are on the line then do what it takes to win I guess, rig up a portable blood transfusion on your bike, but I'd rather do what is healthier and more sustainable. Most of my nutrition and training is more geared towards running, and I can easily run long distances without any carbs. I did a 16 mile run today + 1 mile walk (cooldown) having only ate 3 eggs and a banana 3 hrs prior. For a full marathon race I carb up a little, (natural carbs such as fruits), and I don't need anything during the run except for a few medjool dates just for good measure. I've trained the last few years not entirely sugar or carb free but just minimal. Never hit the wall like so many do, even in only half-marathons folks are chugging down gels. I may not be elite, but lack of sugar doesn't seem to be what is holding me back.