Old 08-22-16, 07:07 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I hadn't seen your other thread so I looked for it just now. You did sort of come in with guns blazing so I guess you were feeling a bit feisty to begin with, and some people responded in kind.

Of course it is challenging, and I hope you won't do it to score some kind of points in the forum - do it if you think it is necessary or for the best for your family.
If I came off strong it was because I'm overwhelmed with green envy! The two biggest obstacles in my life to riding more (the thing that I find most "fun" in the "get healthy" department) are my schedule and rising a post-toddler. Today was a great success in that his lesson was at the farthest point of any of his normal activities. It proved to me that, given enough prior planning, I can seriously increase my physical activity level and reduce the amount of time I spend in a car. It was still challenging and a little nerve-racking but it was doable.

There's an old saying in retail that for every one complaint there are ten other unhappy customers. That's why I shared this story today. If I, a total doubting Thomas, with a very poor track record of car-reduction (despite a desire to do so) could pull this of the I'm sure that there are plenty of people more "normal" than me or who have advantages like bike-safe pathways and central location can do it to and if they are reading this forum, then perhaps sharing this story will inspire them to try too.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix