Old 08-22-16, 11:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I went ahead and bought the Via Carisma on Friday, after a test ride to be sure everything seemed functional. It'll do nicely for what I had in mind -- an errand and city bike that I won't have to baby or worry about.

No photos yet. The only day it didn't pour rain this weekend, I spent riding. I'll post some detailed photos later.

Looks like it was originally sold in Germany and later brought to the US, possibly a military veteran's bike. It has a decal for Rabe (Raven) bikes in Munich. SKS Bluemels fenders, Carratec front and rear racks.

Components look basic but functional, Shimano Exage. I can't tell whether the brake and thumb shifter levers are plastic or coated aluminum. Frame is labeled made in Taiwan, presumably a 1990s-something model. The chrome moly tubing is surprisingly thin -- the bike might actually be pretty lightweight if stripped of the accessories and fitted with lighter wheels and tires. Came with new Innova tires, an all terrain pattern nearly identical to the Michelin Protek Cross Max on my other bike, a good pattern that rolls well on smooth pavement and grips securely on gravel, in the wet and loose stuff.

Only hitch is the flat bar that's a bit low for my preference. I need to take a break about every 10 miles to stretch and get the circulation back in my hands. I rode 40 miles Sunday but had a few stops to rest.

The cable for the center pull front brake runs through the stem and is tensioned against a stop inside the hole through the stem. So I can't adjust the stem height without needing to re-adjust the brakes. I may swap bars with my Globe Carmel, which has typical comfort hybrid type riser bars. That'll give me an idea of the height and angle I'd need before buying a replacement handlebar for the Via Carisma.