locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
'Tween the Hills

[IMG]'Tween the Hills by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Practiced my trail riding this morning. There is a valley between Shaw Butte and North Mountain. Trails 100 and 306 traverse this valley plus a few others. You can enter the trails from several directions. It is a popular place for Mountain Bikers to ride. The trail is probably rated easy. That is good for me as my skills are low.

If you are more interested in pix go here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57671294911851

I recorded the trail part of the ride here: https://www.endomondo.com/users/1891...outs/794746587

Started north on 23rd Ave to Glendale. From there worked over to 21st Ave, north to Northern, then east to McDs for breakfast. After breakfast I went to 15th Ave, stopping at Circle K for gatorade. Then north to the Arizona Canal.

[IMG]15th Ave Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

East to 7th Ave. Then north on 7th Ave around a small hill with a house on it.

[IMG]Sunnyslope by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

On the other side of the hill is Mountain View Park. At the north side of the park is the start of the trail system. Trail 100 starts here. I worked my way to the right of a flood control levee and continued northish. Here the trail is like a rough gravel jeep trail. With rocky outcrops. Just before I reached the saddle between the two hills my front tire hit a larger rock than normal and I came to a stop.

I had to walk up to the saddle before remounting. But overall I did better than last time on the east side of Trail 100. I actually managed to cross several small riffles without losing my seat. At one I chose to get off. Too many hikers, too narrow and my skillset just isn't good enough. Towards the north side of the valley is another flood control levee where I stopped for a drink. Here's a shot looking back thru the pass.

[IMG]South to the pass by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

After my break I worked my way down the west side this time back to the saddle. Back on the loop as before. There is a wide variety of cacti. Staghorn Cholla, Saguaro, Ocotillo and Prickly Pear to name a few. If you hike the hills you will find pincushions and hedge hogs too.

[IMG]Saguaro by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

This time I turned off to go to the Ranger Station. Stopped there for another break. They have a nice visitor center there.

[IMG]Nice Flower by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I took a slightly different way back. Had to get off to get out of a wash. Then back to the saddle.

[IMG]Trail tween N. Mtn & Shaw Butte by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Stopped on the first flood control levee on my way out.

[IMG]On the Levee by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Short distance from here back to Mountain View Park. Stopped there to finish my gatorade and shoot a flower.

[IMG]Poppy by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here I made my way home. Stopping at QTrip for a chocolate milk.

Stats:
Ride to the Trailhead 6.9 mi, 33 1/2 min
Trail Riding 6.2 mi, 57 min by the bike computer
Endomondo says 6.8 mi, 1 hr 23 min.
The time is understandable. But the difference between distances seems a lot to me. Yes I did some walking. But 1/2 mile!? Que sera!
Ride home from the Trailhead 6.9mi, 29 min

I think this was a good practice.