View Single Post
Old 08-28-16, 07:11 PM
Haffster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguanito View Post
I'm having a hard time to decide between the toughroad slr 2, and a mountain bike with front suspension. (trek x-caliber 8 is currently on sale at $850)
I'm going to use it on paved roads and trails (probably 50/50). I won't go quick on trails with bumps, no jump, no race, no high speed. But still, I wonder if I won't miss the front suspension.
I've done a quick test of the toughroad on a parking lot. I wish I could test it on a trail.
The reasons I've selected the slr 2 are :
< $1000
Feels very light
Big tires for an hybrid. I was initially considering the Roam 2, but the tires are too small for some trails with rocks.

The trek x-caliber 8 is going to be heavier (probably + 5lbs), but has some nice components too. And a rockshox suspension + good tires, so would be safer on some trails with holes and bumps.

Do you sometimes miss the front suspension on yours ?

The store currently has the 2016 SLR 2 in large, at $800. I'm 6 ft (and 45y old), it's the right size for me.
I know the 2017 should be available soon, but they don't want to discount the 2016. If some components are improved on the 2017 model, I should probably wait until it's available. Would you wait a few weeks to get a 2017 model ?
To be perfectly honest, after having used the bike for about 700 KMs this summer, my conclusion is that this is a bike that does a great job being a little bit of a road bike and a little bit of a mountain bike. If that's what you're after, you can't go wrong.

But I'd highly recommend figuring out if that's exactly what you want. I've taken this bike to some trails that weren't quite suited to it, and going over roots and stones on this is not fun at all. Your bones are going to suffer. Light gravel, packed mud, you'll be perfectly fine. On the road, you'll feel the rolling resistance. It's comfortable and light, but anything over 25 KMs, you'll feel it. I changed the tires to 35 mm with a nice road tread so it behaves quite a bit better on pavement.

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend focusing on your usage. If you're going to be on pavement 80%+ of the time, get a road bike. Heck, you might even start going the distance with that on weekends. Personally, I'm thinking of putting the fatter tires back on and use this for a bit of light off roading (read: light), and getting a road bike for what I actually really like doing.

I love this bike, but it is designed to do a little bit of everything reasonably well and it does. But this is not a road bike and this is not a mountain bike. A lot of people are quite happy with that, and again - if that's what you're after, you couldn't go wrong.

And yes - I do miss having a front suspension. Like you, I didn't intend to use this bike for any serious mountain biking, but going over roots and stones, you need a front suspension (at least).

Last edited by Haffster; 08-28-16 at 07:23 PM.