Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by stevelewis
So I have a 56cm Trek Madone 2.1
I am 5'9 with approx 31.5 inch inseam.
To get my knees over the pedal axle I have to push my saddle pretty much all the way back. But when I do so, the bars are REALLY far away and I have to really stretch out. It is not comfy.

I also feel a bit of a struggle sometimes during the 12 o clock "dead spot" of the pedal stroke. Are the cranks too long for me? (They are 172.5mm) I have my saddle set to 27.75 inches (BB to top of saddle) I think this right?

The handlebar issue makes me feel I should be on a 54 or even a 52 frame, but the fact that I have to slam that saddle all the way back on a 56 seems to contradict that? I'm confused!

Also, does cleat fore/aft adjustment mimic changing the crank arm length?
If you're gonna use KOPS, then you should use the Tuberosity of the Tibia (at the side of the tibial head) NOT the Patella... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9/Gray1240.png
Using the front of the patella will set you way too far back, initially.

I won't get into the yea or nay of KOPS, but its a good starting point for someone who's never really put themselves in a road bike position and doesn't plan to do the extensive program from the start.

also good to have someone help get the plumb done properly - plumb placed at the tuberosity - side of tibia. Starting point.
given what you say as your general body dimensions, done properly, this should be a good start.

cleat fore/aft - yes, fore/aft does affect how a small change in crank length is experienced - we're talkin 5 mm max difference on road cranks...
you will likely adjust to whatever fore-/aft you set...
you may find cleat rotation to have a more discernible effect, especially when you ride longer times (multiple hours over more difficult terrain.

likely a std 54cm road frame will work better than a 56

The steve Hogg articles are good and worth digesting - however he throws out KOPS because he's happy to get into the entire micro universe of his fit ideas and techniques.

KOPS is like the'Intro' page of a major book on all the things which eventually get you thru 500+ pages of the book/books of fit. (simile)

saddle extension START point - I'll prolly catch more **** from tweakers for this - use the lemond formula to start - LeMond multiplier is 0.883 - times the actual measured 'inseam' (book jammed into crotch), set from PEDAL to plane on saddle. What affects this? saddle planar shape, shoes/sole thickness - anything which affects leg extension, like pedaling style...

enjoy the journey - get a 54... my personal observation is that TREK Madone sizing is a wee bit smaller than same label on other frames... so 56 may not be ideal, but certainly should be workable

Nos morituri te salutamus

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-31-16 at 12:31 PM.