View Single Post
Old 09-02-16, 02:06 PM
djordan

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Grand Prix X 2; 1988 Peugeot Versailles; 1984 Peugeot PH10L; 2006 Motobecane Grand Sprint; 80's Paris Sport "Freyse"; 1989 Raleigh Technium 400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leaving bike in NYC overnight: Security?

The plan is to leave my commuter bike in NYC overnight - every night (and maybe even on weekends):

I live across the Hudson river in West New York, NJ - I'd like to take the bus into NYC (through the Lincoln tunnel) and then hopping on the bike to ride to work crosstown/downtown. For the commute back home, I would leave the bike parked near the Port Authority bus terminal overnight (and then take the bus home across the river again).

Security?
I'm going with "crappiness" as the first line of defense against theft-deterrent - meaning, an old Craigslist bike - maybe something that costs less than $75. Next,
I'm considering investing in a Kryptonite New York lock - with the guarantee. Of course, the lock can be broken, but I should be able to recover the loss if that happens.
(And I'm also thinking of gluing a steel ring attachment to the u-lock... and locking the U-lock itself to something stationary by cable - so even if the U-lock is broken, some part of it would remain at the scene, which is a condition for the guarantee)

Anything wrong with my "perfect" plan?

Thanks!