View Single Post
Old 09-03-16, 04:36 PM
timdow
Pie Smuggler

Bikes: 2010 LHT (Blue), 2000 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Giant Ranier, 1998 Schwinn Moab (converted for commuting), 1994 Trek 1220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm View Post
I found this crankset in " 44.32.22t". I think this would work.

Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles $75.99

Yes this will work. I went with this arrangement on my touring bike. BUT... I would not do it again. Reason is that it puts most of my riding at the end of the middle ring and the start of the big ring. This equals lots of double shifts, and not optimum chain-line. Also, I think I have only shifted into the lowest combination once. Bottom line: The trade-off for lower gears that are very rarely used is poor performance in the gears you use most = not worth it.

For the slow gears with lots of pedaling, which is what touring riders are most concerned with, your current setup of 26T X 34T is a very reasonable 21.3 gear inches. The gearing you have now is pretty good. The best suggestion I can make is that you simply ride it as is for a while before making a change to see if you can get used to it.

Next suggestion is a pretty easy change to 24T granny ring. A 22T is not a good option with your current 36T middle ring because it would push both derailleurs past their limits and possibly cause chain-suck (although you can get a keeper to prevent chain-suck).

You could also go with a 36T cassette. I am quite sure your rear derailleur is long-cage (SGS), and the advertised max is 34T, BUT it should be able to handle a 36T. This is probably the best option because you can then go with a 12-36 cassette moving your shifting on both ends down. Best of all, a 12-36 cassette is only $25-$40. WARNING: After this change, don't go big-ring + big-cog. Good shifting practices would not put you in this combination, anyway. Also, you may need a new chain.