Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Nice bike -- good CL find!

Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Picked up some Ortlieb Back Roller Classics. Was on the fence between these and a set of Axiom panniers. The Ortlieb's were almost double the cost of the Axioms, but given all the excellent reviews I read about them and the fact that they ticked off all my requirements...spacious, weather/waterproof, simple mounting hardware/easy on and off the bike, and a shoulder strap, meant they were the best option.
Good investment. In the long run (which by all accounts should be very very long) you will not regret the high price of the ortliebs.

...front and rear USB rechargeable lights (not for lighting my way, instead just to be seen by motorists and to comply with the local laws), ...
If you are commuting all the time at night, I highly recommend you rethink that decision and get a real headlight. Magicshine clones from Amazon (small head unit, big separate battery pack) can be had for $20 or less. Or a regular CREE LED flashlight with a zoomable head that takes a single 18650 battery can be had for unbelievably cheap -- get a kit with a light and a charger and a crappy battery, and budget another $15 or so for a pair of good batteries. There are any number of mounting solutions, I use interlocked hose clamps.