View Single Post
Old 09-07-16, 10:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Fuji S12-s 650b conversion thoughts...

So, I have a really good shape early 80s Fuji S12-S that I bought purely to convert to 650b for pleasure riding, dirt road use and some light weekend touring.

Right now I'm thinking of a set of Velocity touring wheels built up with Atlas rims and 36H road hubs. This bike should be able to run a 42 tire with fenders setup as 650b.

The gearing is my real question. I plan to convert to triple while trying to keep the same RD so I'll probably be able to run a 7 speed cassette on the new wheels. Current freewheel setup has a 30 tooth large cog. So a cassette with a 30t is the plan.

So in a triple what are the recommendations for the small chainring? It looks like 30, 28 and even 24 are easy enough to source. I double I'll do any Cat 1 climbs with this but you never know. I guess the thing is I don't know what to actually figure when it comes to getting a loaded bike up a mountain. I climb regularly on road bikes and can do a local 25 mile Cat 1 climb with all my bikes. From a standard 39 -23 to a compact 34 - 32. Even made it up a shorter 8 mile Cat 2 with a 42 - 23 with no real problem.

Anyway, thoughts on a triple setup from those who actual carry some loads would be appreciated.

And please, the touring part is something additional to the 650b conversion. Not trying to debate 27" vs 700 vs 650b. Thanks! I already know this won't be the "perfect" touring setup.

Oh and the bike as it sits right now.