Old 09-12-16, 10:31 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I mean opinions differ.

I was impressed how compliant the Specialized Sequoia is being an aluminum bike (like the 2010 model or something, not the latest marketing blitz one).
I was *not* impressed with Specialized full carbon road bikes otherwise. They're fine, I just road a regular roubaix a month ago and it was good but nothing I found exceptional.

Trek had (and maybe still has) a tendency to deliberately make their entry level carbon feel rough and unrefined, and their midlevel carbon seems really smooth and put together.

I didn't really like the Domane personally, in either level. Slow turning, really killed all road feel.

But -

The Trek Emonda in the midlevel frame (500 carbon) was really impressive. More road feel than the Domane, though less than say a Tarmac, but it handled everything for me really well. I started deliberately hitting potholes with it, I was running over basketball sized potholes and not only did I barely feel it, but the bike just kept on going straight through it. None of the usual wrenching around of the bars.

Since it sounds like this latest specialized roubaix loses all road feel through the handlebars, I think the Trek Emonda is still my top choice if your priority is no road buzz and smooth predictable handling.
Well that's the point. You can buy whatever bike you want to buy. There are options out there for everyone.

No one is forcing future shock down anyone's throat.

Having said that, at least on paper and based upon video of both systems, the future shock system sounds like it is technically superior. The trek relies on splay (the stem splays fore aft as well as up and down), which just sounds like a bad idea for steering accuracy. I would not want my handlebar moving forwards and backwards, however slight the deflection.

The spec. system keeps the steering position stable; vertical suspension is absolutely the technically superior solution.

Now as far as the rear, I really don't know what the 'correct' answer is as far as road bike suspension design. I've ridden giant's defy which relies on seat post deflection and it is very comfortable. Spec's system is similar but allows for even more splay and also adds the seat post deflection at the top of the post as well.

I'm sure it adds comfort. I don't know if something similar to future shock can be implemented in the rear. Whether it's due to cost, weight, or reduced efficiency, splay is the solution for the rear.

I'm not sure if vertical suspension, at least not 20 mm, would work for the rear. It would change your pedaling position too much.

We'll see what the future holds but seat post splay is almost certainly not the final design for rear suspension.