Old 09-13-16, 09:49 PM
lyrictenor1

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z953
I ride alone along a combination of the last 18 miles of the bike trails that parallel the LA and Rio Hondo "Rivers" (they're really man-made washes). My wife said that I shouldn't ride north because she thinks that I'll get jumped by some gang-bangers. I tell her that there are numerous homeless people on the last 6 miles leading to the ocean. I started riding in early May of this year and so far no problems with gangs or the homeless.

I tell her that there are other cyclists along the part of the paths that I ride but that doesn't comfort her. The walkers, joggers and other cyclists all seem friendly so I'm not worried when I ride. I do my best to finish before it gets dark (which will be more difficult when winter is here) and just tell my wife to look for my body in running down the wash if I'm not home within two hours.
Unfortunately, it happens. I have been attacked by a meth head over in Irwindale once, but luckily I was able to get away quickly. Use caution on the river trails, especially at night.

http://bikinginla.com/2016/09/10/two-men-shot-in-apparent-bike-jacking-on-la-river-bike-path/