Old 09-21-16, 11:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Check with your local laws but this may come under vandalism/graffiti and you could be fined particularly if the local council doesn't like having it's laziness pointed out by members of the community.

There was a guy who used to this around my local area and he received an official caution from the police (so no fine).
Years ago, I and others marked all sorts of routes and never had serious issues with police. In some places (based on prior history, we'd tell them in advance, explain what we were doing, where and when. But overall, we just went out and did our think, explaining if anybody asked.

Basic guidelines need to be respected. Don't use colors and markings similar to what traffic markings use (obviously), or utilities. Don't mark near other markings to avoid confusion, and keep them discreet and unobtrusive.

Adherence to these guidelines, and the ability to put them down quickly, were considerations Dan Henry used in developing his route markers. Because I was marking routes that sometimes crossed or overlapped his I used a different marker consisting of a solid ball with a line coming out to show the intended direction.

Interestingly, most of the police issues I had were concerns over my safety (decoded, could the town of Chief of Police be sued if they let me mark and I got killed doing so) and often, when they heard I was marking for a bicycle tour, they'd want to know how many bicycles were going to descend on their town.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-21-16 at 11:48 PM.