Old 09-22-16, 06:31 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
If you have say a mountain bike and a road bike do you really switch back and forth between the two often? Do you find yourself favoring one over the other?

I'm trying to figure out if I should bike the bullet and get a road bike to go longer distances. The roads around here are not great.
First of all, great forum name

How bad are the roads near you? People who haven't ridden on say a 25mm road tire imagine them to be like ice skating, but they are really more stable than that. Where I live we have what many consider to be some of the worst roads in the US. Broken up chipseal and whiterock gravel roads interconnecting them. My 25mm GatorHardshell tires handle all of that fine. By the way, my road bike can take up to 33mm tires and I chose to run 25's on it.

The only time I feel like I need a bigger tire is if I actually go off road on a MTB trail for example. And then I have a drop bar gravel bike with 42mm tires.

I also have a dedicated touring bike that only gets ridden on tours.

Of the three bikes I own, the road bike with 25mm tires gets ridden probably 90% of the time. The other two are only used on really specific occasions.

I'm basically repeating what dr_lha said.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Out of my 4 bikes...
You have 4 bikes, omgees! How many bikes does one guy need?!

Last edited by Jarrett2; 09-22-16 at 06:36 AM.