Old 09-22-16, 09:56 AM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Numb Hands On One Bike, Not On The Other...

I think might be easy for those who know about such things but I'm a bit baffled. I'm 63 years old, about 5'10"+ 180 lbs. and started riding again after about 5 years off. I purchased a new Giant ToughRoad size medium and loved the bike but had a problem with hand numbness.

I changed my grips to some Ergons and added some bar ends and was able to ease the numbness with a couple new hand positions but still fight it. Moving the seat back might have helped but not sure.

Now enter a new Mountain bike. It's a 2016 Trance 2 in a large and I took it out for a spin yesterday for the first time. I noticed the stock, hard, round, grips and thought, "Crap, those will have to go as they'll surely hammer my hands."

The first part of my ride was about 3 miles of road to get to the park. I locked out the suspension and I noticed how comfortable the bike was and my hands were strangely - not hurting at all and not numb. The riding position was better, somehow but I don't know how/why.

I measured top tube lengths and the Tough Road is about an inch shorter than the Trance and from stem to seat post is at least an inch short as well.

Is it that simple? Does the riding position on the ToughRoad need to be longer? Is it the height of the saddle stem?

I LOVE the Tough Road and thought I would just have to live with the hands I was given but there's something about the Trance that leaves my hands much more pain free.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

photo host

Last edited by LHawes; 09-22-16 at 10:10 AM.