Thread: First Bike
View Single Post
Old 09-22-16, 10:03 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Specialized Hardrock

Originally Posted by apteno
He said it is a Hardrock model, most likely at 21" frame. He put extended seat and handlebar posts on it to fit his 6'7" frame, but said it should be fine with those removed.
The correct size for you is 21" the largest frame they make for the Hardrock. This model has been around for a lot of years based upon the listings on Bikepedia which dates the model back to 1993, the earliest year they list for bikes. It is entry level. MSRP for a brand new 2016 is $425 and the 2017 is $500 and that includes things like disc brakes and a wider gear range than the old ones. If you want to confirm what year this one was made, look at the inside of the crank arms. You will almost always find a date code stamped there (month/year) which should date the bike.

The newer ones had front suspension (bad) versus this one which has no front suspension (good) but it also dates it back into the early 2004 or earlier when they first added suspension on the Hardrock. The brand new cost in 2004 was $330 which makes the $175 price tag look overpriced. It is a common bike on CL with prices as low as $85 for the vintage 21 speed, 26” wheel, V-brake type. I'd keep looking but I have no idea how easy it is to find a good bike cheap in Pittsburgh. It takes some doing where I live but I have bought a lot of bikes way better than this one for less than $175 with all they needed was a thorough going through to clean, relubricate, and adjust things. I bought a used Specialized Rockhopper, one step above this one, for $140 back in around 1993 when it was only two years old. Better bike, better price even back then.