Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post
Thanks for the reply. Been to the numb hands post and all over the web and found ways to make it better with the Tough Road. I was just surprised how much better the larger frame/longer reach felt but don't know if that's the culprit.

I could buy a longer stem or get straight bars to move my hands forward or even get a new saddle that somehow went back farther but don't want to fish around too much if there's something obvious about the set up differences.

Saddle is all the way back on the Tough Road and isn't the saddle position a very important part of fitting a bike? Shouldn't it be in a position that places your knees directly over the pedals (or some other formula?) - See quote below.

I'm obviously thrashing here and hope i don't sound like I know what I'm talking about and greatly appreciate your help.

"Contrary to popular belief, the longer your reach to the bars, the less weight you have on your hands. Imagine if you had your hands fully forward and horizontal, there'd be hardly any weight on them at all. However, your seat should be positioned for optimum leg-angle and extension, NOT for reach to the bars. If you need longer reach to the bars, get a longer stem, do not slide your seat back (that can introduce all sorts of knee problems):

Maybe it is as simple as a longer stem?
For now, try swapping saddles. Brooks are notoriously difficult to get in the right position. Velo Orange sells a special seatpost with more setback for Brooks.

No, there's no special relationship between knees and pedals. There's a general positioning aid, KOPS, which gets folks in a good starting position, but mostly saddle position for non-racers is about balance.

Your quote is partially correct: saddle fore-and-aft position is about balance and hip angle. Saddle height is about proper leg extension and knee angle. Moving the saddle back would be a good test to see if it helped.