View Single Post
Old 12-10-05, 03:03 AM
giantrobot
______

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I POSTED THIS IN TOURING, BUT THOUGHT I MIGHT FIND SOME INPUT HERE AS WELL.

Im interested in learning more about off road touring. Right now im trying to grasp all the new costs that it would involve.( something I tend to do first, even when the actual trip is off in the distance) Looking at what other people ride, it seems hardtails w/ BOB trailers are the preference. So, as far as frame material goes, steel or aluminum? I suppose, though the ideal ansewer is steel,
Im factoring in what I have read about the BOB deforming rear triangles ( any comments on that?)

I Know that steel is pliable, but more expensive. With aluminum, if i got 5 years out of the frame I would be happy. Then upgrade to a Surly or something.

Secondly, Full suspension or hard tail. A F/s would be good if I could find a manufactuer that sells spare reartriangles with their bikes. (know of anyone?)

Third: BOB or something else. I would be riding a bit of single track. So single wheel?

4thly: Front racks w/ small panniers w/ a suspension fork?

Thanks for you comments. I used to post here w/ a different screen name, and was helped out many times building a bike and organizing tours.