View Single Post
Old 12-10-05, 05:45 AM
harov3
Dismember

Bikes: Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a little touring on a Giant rincon of all things. My biggest ride was four days, for this I carried every thing I needed on a rear rack with two cheap panniers made from Pakistani cotton rucksacks. The only thing I needed to top up regularly (every day ) was water. I carried three litres at all times, or at least between refills, and purified it with tablets any camping store sells. Three litres was not enough for offroad touring at the height of a West Australian summer but if its relatively cool where you are it could be enough. My biggest expense was the rack and noodles, the rack has to be a good one, as a rule of thumb if it looks like it could support you if it were attached to a wall then its probably OK. Bear in mind that is in no way a scientific test but a rule of thumb. I wouldnt bother with the trailer unless you dont plan on seeing another settlement for more than say 10 days, I cant imagine doing any of my rides lugging something as unweildy as a trailer behind me, likely it would have ended up donated to the first township I passed through.