View Single Post
Old 09-26-16, 02:33 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
Bumping this

Im getting Garmin 500 because my phone is not cooperating and im about to throw it.
I've tried Cateye Stealth 50, Cateye Evo Plus, Cateye Padrone Smart Plus, Garmin Edge 200, Garmin Edge 25, Garmin Edge 520, Wahoo RFLKT and Strava and MapMyRide Android apps.

The features worth having for me:

1. GLONASS - using the Russian satellite network as well as the US GPS network makes acquisition MUCH faster especially amid skyscrapers in downtown Seattle. The Edge 25 and 520 have this and I think my phone does too (Galaxy S4 Active)

2. Long battery life - Main appeal of the self contained devices rather than the Padrone Smart Plus and RFLKT is the much longer battery life. I don't do it every day, but when I ride mechanical and first aid support for large group rides like the Seattle to Portland Classic, you can easily be out on the route 10 hours between stopping to help people change flat tires, doing first aid and occasionally even waiting for an ambulance with the crash victim. The only one of those devices that can easily handle 10 hours or more of run time is the Edge 520.

3. Bluetooth - LOVE having the ride upload immediately and not having to carry around a docking cradle or wait to upload until getting home again.

4. Customizable display - I personally want speed, mileage, time of day and time of ride on my display at all times. I don't use power meters or heart rate monitors but if I did it would be nice to have the ability to control the display format.

5. Mounting system with aftermarket options. Makes it easy to switch between multiple bikes, which is the other big advantage over wheel mounted magnet sensors.