Thread: Commute Curious
View Single Post
Old 09-26-16, 02:55 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering commuting via bicycle. I have to drive about an hour every day, and I recently noticed that there is a 15 mile bike trail that runs right from my house to my work. I always knew the trail was there, but I never thought it would be bikeable. I think I could definitely do 30 miles a day, at least two or three days a week.

I'm pretty excited about the idea of riding my bike to work on some beautiful trails. I'm more excited to beat the traffic. I know biking will take quite a bit longer, but I would much rather be doing something I enjoy than something that brings me stress all the time.

There are two things giving me pause. The first is sweat! I sweat a lot, even when I'm not doing anything. And I know after biking for 15 miles, I'll be a sweaty mess. How do you deal with the sweat when you bike? Do you just take a towel and a change of clothes? Do you take a shower when you get to work? Do you just not care?

On the other hand, my second concern is cold. I live in the Chicago area, and the snow will start to fall soon. I know there are people that still commute via bike during the winter, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that. Do you commute during the winter? Do you only bike to work half the year?
Also a heavy sweat-er. I commute about 13mi each way 4-5x a week. Echo everything that's been said. Big stash of wet wipes and paper towels can replace a shower if needed. Take it easy and cool off for the last 15 minutes or so of the ride.

Here in Sacramento winter just means rain so I can't speak to that part. Grew up in MI (west side) so I know what winter near the lake can be like.