View Single Post
Old 09-27-16, 02:27 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool
I pretty much stopped riding a bike when I got my license. I kept one in the garage for years but ended up just letting the movers have it.

Then unexpectedly one day my gf, who never learned to ride a bike, randomly fell in love with a 3-wheel Schwinn Meridian. She eagerly bought it.

I liked the thing so much I decided to buy a Schwinn of my own, a used Cruiser 7. Kinda rough but I'll enjoy restoring it.

Anyway the bikes are in the building parkade. Vancouver is apparently the bike theft capital of Canada so I knew I couldn't skimp. Bought a heavy, canvas-sheathed chain that I believe is a re-brand of the one Kryptonite uses in their bike locks. And paired it with the strongest padlock I could get. The result is ungainly but it should keep the bikes safe at night.

Now onto the real question: We each need some portable locks for when we daytrip around the city. Cable locks are a joke I hear, so that's out. And call me the Bike Nazi but I can't mount a u-lock on my classic-looking Schwinn.

Decided that a light chain might be strong enough for quick jaunts indoors while still bundling up into a compact ball. But how light really? What's the point where bike thieves stop laughing and start groaning? What about interweaving chain with cable or something creative like that? Would love to know what others have done. Thanks!
What's your price range for a lock?

The Ottolock looks promising for that kind of use, meaning short spans of exposure during daylight hours and not out overnight. It's still a kickstarter vaporware product though, won't be released until February.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-con...ock-yellow.jpg

Another light option is the Palmy aluminum locks from Japan, carried by many north American dealers. I think I saw them at JV Bike in Vancouver. They are easy prey for thieves, but again for a quick stop they would still take longer to saw through than a cable lock, which is less than 5 seconds to cut through with bolt cutters.

They are mini U locks, so you can carry them easily in a backpack or messenger bag rather than mounting on your bike.

http://macadamcycles.com/966-large_d...ocks-palmy.jpg

The Palmy just happens to take Kryptonite Skins so you can put one of those on and make it look like a steel Kryptonite.

After all, the real purpose of such a light lock is just to make the thief look at the bike next to yours as easier prey.

No lock of any type is going to stop a professional thief from taking your bike. Or your car for that matter.

Last edited by ShortLegCyclist; 09-27-16 at 02:31 PM.