Old 10-02-16, 01:40 AM
azza_333

Bikes: Custom Carbon Fibre Ultegra Di2 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New custom touring bike build

I have just spent a large portion of my weekend online ordering components for my new touring bike builds.
For anyone that’s interested, I am going to post in this thread throughout the build, with lots of photos of my progress.
I am building it on a 2017 Kona Sutra LTD Frame, with the new Shimano XT T8000 trekking groupset, using Shiftmate ratio changers, so I can use STI shifters. A SON28 hub will run a front and rear light, with USB charging output to keep my GPS charged up.
The gearing should get me 19.2-119.8 gear inches.
When the frame arrives to first step will be treating the inside of the frame with Frame Saver.
I will be completing the build all myself, except the wheels, I am taking the Hubs/Spokes/Nipple/Rims to a professional wheel builder
All up I expect the final total to come to $5000-6000 AUD by the completion of the build.

The only items I have yet to order are:
- Stem, I am going to use an adjustable stem until I figure out my bike fit then buy the appropriate length/angle stem, but I will most likely get a BBB BHS-25 high rise stem
- Pitlock set, I will be ordering this to secure my bike as best as I can, at the very least I will be ordering front and rear skewers.
- Pedals, I am going to use an old Shimano XT trekking set until I decide on what pedals I want to use, it will be a set of high quality flat pedals though.

Skeleton:
- 2017 Kona Sutra LTD Frameset 54cm
- Race face ride XC seatpost
- ()
- FSA Vero Compact road bar 42cm
Wheelset:
- SON28 36h disc brake (6 bolt) front hub, black
- Velocity Chukker rims, 36h, non-machined sidewall, 700c, black
- DT Swiss Alpine III spokes
- DT Swiss Pro lock standard spokes, black brass
- Victoria 18mm rim tape
- Schwalbe Road Tube, 28-45c
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres, 35c
Brakes:
- TRP Spyre callipers
- 160mm Shimano RT86 ice tech rotors
- Jagwire Road Pro compression less brake cable set
- Tektro RL 721 CX crosstop brake levers
- Spyre brake cover and accordion boot
Drivetrain:
- Shimano 105 5703 3x10speed STI shifters
- Jagwire Road Pro shifter cable set
- Shimano XT FC-T8000 48/36/26 crankset
- Shimano BB-MT800 Bottom Bracket
- Shimano XT CN-HG95 10 speed chain
- Shimano XT M771 10 speed Cassette 11-36
- Shimano XT RD-T8000 SGS rear mech
- Shimano Deore XT FD-T8000-H-3 (63-66) front mech
- Shiftmate 6
- Shiftmate 7
- KMC 10 speed chain links
- Ritchey barrel adjusters
Misc:
- Brookes B17 Saddle
- Tubus Logo classic
- FSA Orbit MX headset
- SKS longboard mudguard set 45mm wide
- Deda bar tape, Cinelli bar ends
- Carbon fibre steerer tube spacers
- Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U Front Light
- Busch + Müller TOPLIGHT Line Brake Plus LED-Rear Light
- Radon High Modulus chain stay protection sticker
- Topeak Shuttle AL Aluminium Bottle Cage

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Update 22nd October 2016:
The bike build has been delayed a bit, due to 2 strokes of bad luck.

The Kona Sutra LTD frameset arrived, but was very damaged(a lot of rust inside the bottom bracket, and a little on the steerer tube, bend rear dropouts, bent mech hanger, quite a few paint chips. Currently the shop I ordered it from is looking into getting me a replacement from Kona, and I am currently also in contact with FEDEX to organise compensation.

My wheel builder gave me a call and the Chukker rims he got to build my wheels with were not round enough to build my wheelset with so I am currently trying to source new rims.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Update 6th November 2016:
Wheels have been built, and I now have all the components, for the bike.
The last task I have to get completed before I can assemble the bike, is getting the frame/fork painted satin black, with red decals.

Update 2nd Feb 2017:
After so many delays with this bike build it is finally complete.

The only exceptions are:
Stem, I currently have an adjustable stem, until I figure out what length/angle I need.
Rotors, Currently have installed the stock TRP rotors, but I will switch them for the Shimano RT86 ice tech rotors in the coming months.
Tyres, I am just using an old set for now.

Now for the BAD NEWS, as much as I loved the concept of using the Jtek Shiftmates, to match my STI road shifters to the MTB gearing, sadly the shifting is very poor as a result, I took it to my LBS, they had a fiddle with it but couldn’t get it any better either. So as a result, I have ordered some ever faithful bar end shifters (Microshift BS-M10 the same one on the Surly LHT)

Also the braking is not the greatest, I will wait until I have install the bar end shifters and take the bike for a few more rides, and see if I can fiddle with the brakes a bit more, but if I can’t get the brakes to work well enough, I will unfortunately have to give up on my idea of having brakes on the hoods, and interrupter levers on the tops. Instead I will just buy a set of TRP Hylex hydraulic brakes.

Once I get the bike working well, I will be doing a Dynamo USB power test to see how much USB power I can get out of it at different speeds.

Also with regards to the bar end shifters on the ends of the drops, I am thinking of routing the cable all the way up the drops, and have it come out on the tops, where a STI cable would, does anyone think this will cause any major degradation in shifting performance?

I have added some photos of the bike in its current configuration further down in this thread.

Last edited by azza_333; 02-02-17 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Update