WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by silex
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I was looking up the wrong parts online and these were actually fair prices, but it sounds like they're actually charging more than twice the market value of the components.

I haven't paid anything yet but left my bike with them. I kind of like the idea of buying my own tools to do the install myself and buying things direct. Should I stealthily go grab my bike when they're not looking? What do I do if they they've already ordered the parts and demand payment?
Go into the shop, ask to see the bike. If they've already done the work you're kind of screwed. If not, tell them you decided not to do the work and walk out with the bike. But once you have your bike, do not give it back. If they've already ordered the parts, tell them to cancel. If they want to charge you a restocking fee, then you've got to negotiate a bit, but if they say 30% of price, tell them you'll give them 10% of market (internet prices) and for that money they are buying your negative reviews on-line, at your bike club, and at work.

But first ask to see the bike and make sure you have it in hand when you cancel. Best if you have a friend with you - they can take the bike out to the car while you tell the store people you are cancelling the work.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-04-16 at 07:58 AM.