View Single Post
Old 12-10-05, 10:18 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcrank
With your experience with the 6-mile climb mentioned above, you should look into the Mt. Washington event. I'd bet you'd make it. Here's some info:

"The Mt Washington Auto Road is 7.6 miles in length, has an average grade of 12% with extended sections of 18% and the last 50 yards is an amazing 22%!"

They close the mountain off to cars for one day a year for it. It's summer at the base, and sometimes in the 30's at the summit.

Been thinking of this as a 2006 goal myself . . . I'd love to do this for my 50th year -- but, at the same time, I have to be realistic and not kid myself. When training picks up I'll reassess.

I bet your NC ride is a very beautiful one.
Interesting you should mention the Mt Washington climb. One of my best friends hiked through there in Sept and said the winds were Hurricane force that day as they were in the 80+ range. He said he walked down part of the road and the wind was so strong he almost sat down in the road with his backpack and inched along. He said it was all he could do just to walk in the road without getting blown overall the guard rail.

So, take 7 miles 10-15 per cent grade and add some wind and you have yourself one heck of a challenge.